Merchant’s National Bank
St. Paul, MN
Adaptive Reuse & Historic Preservation / Historic Consulting
The Merchant’s National Bank is being fully restored to its original glory. The building was designed by Architect Edward P. Bassford and erected in 1892 in the Romanesque style. The two primary facades are clad with highly detailed red sandstone that has severely deteriorated over the years and/or have missing details and components. As part of a multi-year and phased historic tax credit rehabilitation project, AWH is shepherding the building and occupants through a full remodel of the top two floors into a modern workplace environment, completing the preservation of the exterior sandstone and restoration of the original parapet which will be cast stone. Parallel to the interior and exterior work the building is being fully retrofitted with state of the art mechanical and electrical systems in order to become a holistic sustainable design and approach that will carry the building well into the future. The project has received both HPC and NPS approvals and is pursuing LEED Platinum Certification.