Paper Architecture / Historic Consulting / Adaptive Reuse & Historic Preservation
The Printers Exchange Building (1915) at 16-18 Fourth Street North is a seven-story, brick and reinforced concrete building completed in the Gothic Revival Style. The building was designed by local architect Victor Felix V. De Brauwere for Chas. H. McKee.
The building stored movie films into the 1960s when it began use as a fur storage building. After years of deferred maintenance and under-utilization, the building is posed to become a revived anchor for this part of the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District. The primary facade facing 4th street is clad in terra-cotta and will be restored to its original glory. The large hot-rolled steel windows on the west side will be rehabilitated with the masonry and concrete structure being restored.