Adaptive Reuse & Historic Preservation
Founded on the principal of reusing what we have, AWH pursues adaptive reuse and historic building rehabilitation as a way to combat unnecessary loss of our collective cultural heritage and embodied energy inherent in existing buildings. Our designers find inspiration from researching the layers of history and program that older buildings embody. We take care to honor the existing story and structure while converting buildings for contemporary uses.
Our process is centralized around understanding the needs of our clients to discern how they inhabit existing spaces. We search for the design solutions that elevate our clients expectations and respect the building itself. To form our designs, we interweave the potential of the existing structure, with our clients needs and modern sustainable design practices. We understand the issues and how to navigate the often complicated road of entitlements and how to balance conservation with contemporary codes. AWH Architects’ in-house Historic Consulting Services can lead clients through the different resources available from tax credits, grants and incentives.
The Maytag Building has a new breath of life. Erected in 1916 by the Maytag Company, in the classical Chicago School style, this Minneapolis warehouse building served as the company’s northwest branch. Until recently the building was underutilized…
After years of deferred maintenance and under-utilization, the Printers Exchange is posed to become a revived anchor to the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District. The primary facade facing 4th street is clad in terra-cotta and will be restored to its original glory…
Hillman Mechanical & Porter Electric Warehouse
The Hillman Mechanical and Porter Electric structures were converted from underutilized warehouse structures into mixed used, fully restored buildings. The project received both Minneapolis HPC Certificate of Appropriateness and NPS approvals.
Merchant’s National Bank
The Merchant’s National Bank is being fully restored to its original glory. The building was designed by Architect Edward P. Bassford, and erected in 1892 in the Romanesque style. The project has received both HPC and NPS approvals and is pursuing LEED Platinum Certification.